I made almond milk, and it was yuuuuuum! I was 'high-fiving' myself all day, I was so chuffed with the results. I was under the impression it was a really long process, but honestly, it only took a few minutes preparation.
Almond milk is great for those who are lactose intolerant. It's high in antioxidants like vitamin E, which can help prevent cancer and slow the signs of aging. Favored by vegans, almond milk is animal-free, which also means it's low in fat and calories, unlike cows milk. The flavonoids help to reduce free radicals in the body, assisting in fighting degenerative diseases such as osteoporosis and type 2 diabetes. It contains no cholesterol or saturated fats, making it heart-safe, and is high in omega 3 fatty acids, which aides in the reduction of 'bad' LDL cholesterol.
Did I mention it was yummy? Fresh almond milk is lovely and creamy and quite frankly, rather moorish. If you're making it yourself, it's easy to flavour to your palette; adding fresh vanilla bean, honey or agave, or even salt! It's great in smoothies, and a fabulous replacement for cows milk when making ice-cream. Just do it!
Almond Milk- makes approx 500mL
- 1 cup of unsalted organic almonds - skin on
- 2 cups of filtered or spring water
- 6 dates
- Soak your almonds over night in filtered or spring water.
- In the morning, rinse your almonds twice with filtered water.
- Add your almonds to your blender with your 2 cups of filtered water. Blend for 2 minutes.
- Add your dates, and blend for another 2 minutes. Make sure your blender doesn't run hot, or it will burn off the nutrients in your milk. Try pulsing at intervals.
- Place a nut-bag over a wide bowl or jug and pour in your blended contents. Strain off your milk by closing your nut-bag and squeezing tightly. You'll be amazed how much more milk is released when you ring-out your nut-bag.
- Store your almond milk in the fridge and use within two days. It will go sour on the third or fourth day.
If you don't have a nut-bag, you could use a strainer. You can reserve your almond meal for baking, thickening up smoothies or even for feeding pets! Enjoy!