Today is Chris’ birthday! Which means it’s time to up the ante and bust out the good stuff! The recipe is super indulgent, and of course excellent for special occasions!
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes 3/4 cup of brown sugar 125g butter 3 free range eggs 1/2 cup of organic raw cacao powder 2 cups of organic white spelt flour (or plain flour) 4 teaspoons of baking powder 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (approx one orange) zest of 1 orange
Chocolate Ganache 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice 1/2 cup of thickened cream 200g of organic dark chocolate (I use Green & Blacks) 3 tablespoons of icing sugar zest of 1 orange
- Preheat your oven to 180 degree Celsius. Grease and line your muffin / cupcake trays.
- Cream together butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Beat in one egg at a time.
- Sift in all your dry ingredients and your orange juice and beat until a smooth batter forms.
- Mix in your orange zest, then spoon your batter evenly into your lined cupcake trays. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until fork come out clean when cupcakes are poked.
- Whilst your cupcakes are cooling, melt your chocolate. I do this in a pyrex jug in my microwave, nuking at 30 second intervals and mixing in between. Or you could melt in a double boiler.
- Whilst mixing your melted chocolate, gradually add in a little cream at a time, mixing vigorously. Gradually mix in your orange juice and icing sugar. Don’t stop moving the chocolate - this stops it from becoming lumpy. Place ganache in fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Spoon your ganache into a piping bag and evenly pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. Finish with a sprinkling of orange zest. Enjoy!