I have braces. Scratch that. I have adult braces. A majority of the time I don't notice that they are there, the rest of the time they ache, hurt and refuse to be flossed. Jerks! I'm dreaming of the day when I can bite into a burger, crusty bread or a pear with reckless abandon. All hope was lost when my sister recently gave me a bag of Morris Lane Taffys Chilli Macadamia Brittle for my birthday. After calling her a jerk, I knew I had to find a way to wrap my grill around at least a small portion.
Enter Honey Butter Cupcakes.
Makes 16 125 grams of butter - room temperature 3/4 cup of sugar (I use home made vanilla sugar) 2 eggs 1/4 cup of local honey (using local honey helps allergies to local pollen) 3/4 cup of milk (or butter milk or soy) Vanilla bean pod 2 cups of plain flour 4 teaspoons of baking powder Pinch of sea salt
Honey butter icing 125 grams of butter (eeeep!) - room temperature 2 cups of icing sugar 3 tablespoons of honey 1 tablespoon of milk (or soy or rice milk) Chilli macadamia brittle (any brittle will work)
- Set oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer / beaters. Gradually beat in eggs and honey.
- Split vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out beans using the back of a spoon. Add to mixture.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a separate bowl, and gently fold half into wet mixture.
- Gently fold in milk, remaining sifted flour and salt. If the mixture is too stiff, add more milk. Or too runny, add a little more flour.
- Evenly spoon batter into paper lined cupcake moulds and bake for 10-15 minutes. Poked with a fork or skewer, if it comes away clean your cupcakes are done.
- Allow to cool on a cake rack, before adding icing.
- For the icing, use your beaters to cream together the butter, icing sugar and honey. Add remaining milk if the mixture is stiff. Your looking for a thick butter consistency.
- Using a knife, evenly spread icing over each of the cupcakes.
- Use a pestle and mortar to crush your brittle into chunky crumbs and adorn your cupcakes.
Eat with reckless abandon! But not too much cause these puppies come in at a whopping 422 calories, (estimated). Drool!